What is Asthma?
Asthma is an inflammatory chronic disease of the airways. As a result of the infection, the layer covering the internal faces of the bronchia is damaged, swelled, and reddened. Asthma is a disease characterized with the reversible narrowness of airways. Both genetic and environmental factors play a role in its construction.
What are the Symptoms of the Asthma?
- Stertorous/Rustling Respiration
- Thoracic Rigidity
- Respiratory Insufficiency
- The complaints become repeating attacks
- Generally, it emerges at night or towards morning
- It vanishes spontaneously or with medicines
- Some factors cause the emergence of the complaints
- It may show seasonal changes.
What are the Factors (Triggers) Evoking Asthma?
- Allergens; in house dust, cockroaches, pollen, animals, fungal spores etc.
- Air Pollution
- Occupational factors
- Food and food additives
- The rising of the gastric acid to the esophagus
- Psychological and hormonal factors
What are the Methods of Preservation?
- Preservation from the Acaruses of in House Dust
- Wash the sheets and covers at high temperature weekly
- Select washable toys, often wash them in hot water, dry them completely, and keep the toys out the beds
- Prefer leather, artificial leather, and wooden goods instead of the goods furnished with fabric
- If possible, do not keep a carpet in home
- Close the beds and pillows with non-allergenic zippered covers
- Often sweep with the vacuumed sweepers (when the patient is absent)
- Keep the dampness lower in the house, increase air conditioning.
The Preservation from the Triggers of Domestic Animals
- Consider keeping the animals outer environment and find a new house if it is necessary
- Do not permit the animals in the bedrooms, keep the doors closed
- Keep the animals away from the holstered furniture, carpets, and toys.
- Clear the house thoroughly after the animal is kept out
Preservation from the Molds
- Wash the hard surfaces and dry well (with bleacher)
- It may be necessary to change the absorbents (carpet, bed)
- Repair the flowing, dripping water sources; use the waterproof isolation materials
- Keep the dehumidifying devices like air conditioner, refrigerator and other devices dry and clear
- Open the window when you use water in the bath and kitchen or use fan
- Ventilate the mediums in which the clothes are dried; if possible, do not dry the clothes at home
- Keep the humidity rate lower in interior environment the house (%30-50 )
Preservation from the Cockroaches
- Do not expose food and wastes
- Keep the foods in the close storage boxes
- Immediately clean the pieces and fluids pouring out
- Repair the bottom of the door, connections of the cracks, and pipes which can be the entrances of the insects
- Try using the poisonous food, trap, and boric acid before the aerosol spray
- If you are going to use the aerosol spray:? Limit it to only the required areas
- Follow the precepts on the labeling
- Apply it when the asthmatic patient is absent and clear air admission is available
Preservation from the Pollens
- Do not go out as much as possible in the pollen spreading period of the plant to which you are sensitive? A mask and eyeglass can be used in the external environment? Keep the doors and windows closed in the period that pollens are intensive
- The clothes should be changed and you should have a shower when you come home from the external environment.
Preservation from the Air Pollution
- You should avoid the unnecessary physical activities, keep the windows of the house closed, and not go out if it is not necessary in the days that the air pollution is intensive in the outer environment.
- Using fuel and machineries that create the least air pollution in houses, vehicles, and industrial areas.
- The flueless heaters should not be used; the cleanliness of the chimney should be cared
- Preservation from the infections
- Keep yourself away from the crowded places especially in winter
- The flu vaccine should be applied in September-October every year
- The increase in the doses of medicine may be necessary in the infection period
- The antibiotic is unnecessary as it is not advised by the doctor
- Preservation from the Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Do not eat over spiced foods
- Alcohol should not be consumed
- It should be eaten shortly and frequently
- You should use high pillow when you sleep
How is Asthma Diagnosed?
- There is no imaging or blood test that will directly diagnose the asthma disease. The imaging tests are beneficial in the distinctive diagnosis of the diseases which imitate the asthma.
- The essentially precious one is the respiratory function tests in the diagnosis of the asthma (SPIROMETER/PEFMETER)
- Allergy Tests: Allergy skin tests including the respiratory and food allergens have been applied in our department.
- Pituitary and blood tests may be useful to support the diagnosis and the distinctive diagnosis.
- Develop an asthma dealing plan with your doctor:
- Determining methods to diminish your asthma triggers and subjection to these.
- Peak flow follow-up
- The emergency plan
The skin allergy tests (respiration and food allergens), which are valuable in the diagnosis of the allergic diseases, done with 48 antigens, and vaccine application (immunotherapy) for the suitable patients have been applied in our department.